Monday, February 14, 2005

I am proud of my Parents

Parents, a blessing from Allah, what would I be if I wouldn't have the parents I have. I didn't realize their vision & approach till I was 16, but since then I have been analyzing all of it, though there had been second thoughts during all of this, but now I am 100% convinced. My love & respect for them is increasing gradually since then. From the very beginning, they have been working hard to bring us up, especially my elder brother and me. They had their own parents as well to take care of.

They had only negligible financial reserves to start with. They had a vision for both of us and they worked really hard to achieve the goals, leaving aside the constraints and personal motivation levels. They had their financial plans, which they have now achieved and all seems smooth, but it isn’t. They got us very good standard schooling and worked everyday consistently to make us better human beings. The amount of sacrifice and the amount of struggle, in terms of time, energy, money & use of intelligence is simply invaluable. One small example of their decision-making ability is that they changed our schools for a better secondary education, keeping in line with their vision. Not only they wanted us to be good at studies, but also in other areas.

From Montessori to Kindergarten (and sometimes during primary & secondary), my mother used to pick my brother and me up from school in a local bus or a rickshaw, depending upon the saving they did in the month. If you add this to the responsibilities of maintaining our home as well as cooking and other daily activities, it's a hell lot of work and pressure. But she made it look all easy.

My father worked harder and harder to make as much money as to raise both of us in the best of his control. He worked hard at his office, as well as at home to teach us, as well as doing work at home, all by himself, yet keeping everything simple.

They got me a new PC (386 dx) when I was in 9th, the price of which was not compatible with our financial position. I had a major accident when I was in 10th, fracturing two of my bones. I had major operations going on, needed a good surgeon. They arranged all of it, again sacrificing their plans financially. I was not a good student at all at that point in time and still they loved me as if I were their best child. They did everything for me during that time, more than what I needed. I still remember the support I had from my father when I was on bed rest for a few months. Add this to raising two other children within financial boundaries, and you'll imagine the pressure, and the energy required.

We also went for annual trips to several countries and I am amazed at how they managed to do that. The education after intermediate was expensive for us, as we were struggling to some extent financially. Yet, they managed it. I saw them shopping, I saw them eating, I saw them saving each & every paisa they can, yet they spent all the money they can on us to make us the best.

And now, I am proud to claim that they have succeeded in all of that, our education, financial stability, home environment, relationship with others & the family reputation, etc. My brother is a Chartered Accountant, working outside the country with one of the world's best companies. I am here in Islamabad, again in one of the better companies in Pakistan, earning a good salary. All the credit goes to our parents and all the sacrifice they had faced for us.

It's human nature that the realization comes with experience and I am sure people have gone through the age where you feel like your parents haven't done anything for you and I am quite sure that, that age is still to come (or may have come already) when one realizes the efforts of one's parents and then an era comes where you are the parent!

The age from 30 to 50 (depending upon the birth of kids) is an age for extreme struggle and careful decision-making and I haven't seen many who have gone through that with success in all areas. There's a lot to do for them, in fact I'll never be able to return fully what they had given me. I must end by saying that praying for them and doing anything they want should be one of our main goals.

7 comments:

The Lil fairy & her angel friends said...

Parents and childern..one of teh most selfless relation I have ever seen. Once priorities change with teh birth of a child, people who loved their sibblings their families,with whom they had spent years oft heir lives, for 'em their new born becomes of utmost importance.
And somehow we just cant pay 'em back for wat they ve given us. I think after Allah they r the ones who give us the most...our moral values, ourselves, evrything reflects wat effort they ve put in. And its only our present position that makes em stand high.We owe em so much and unfortuantely, no matter how hard we try, we cannot give em wat they really deserve.
I think giving em time and respect is wat makes feel important. I just cannot stop thinking of ways to please my parents and I think tat's wat we all should do..

The Lil fairy & her angel friends said...

Parents and childern..one of teh most selfless relation I have ever seen. Priorities change with teh birth of a child __People who loved their sibblings & their families,with whom they had spent years of their lives, for 'em their new born becomes most prior.
And somehow we just cant pay 'em back for wat they 've given us.
I think after Allah they r the ones who give us the most...our moral values, ourselves, evrything reflects wat effort they ve put in. And its only our present position that makes em stand high.We owe em so much and unfortuantely, no matter how hard we try, we cannot give em wat they really deserve.
I think giving em time and respect is wat makes feel important. I just cannot stop thinking of ways to please my parents and I think tat's wat we all should do..

Teeth Maestro said...

Parents are indeed a blessing the love they provide us is selfless and if for one day you think they might have given their hearts love to you, well worry not the very next day they will surprise you with another bunch load of love.

A good writeup - one to show to your parents and they will give you that knowing smile - in their hearts they will then be at peace to have accomplished to raise fine children like you to be proud of - at that moment all those financial hurdles wash away and mean NOTHING - its then pure happiness ;)

Jaywalker said...

Your post reminded me of an article published in The Readers' Digest many many years ago (yes, I am quite old). It was about parenthood and the sequence of Dog, Cat and Dog years in your child's life.

The first few years are dog years - when the child smiles to see the parents; gets worried if they are not around; does whatever they instruct/ teach him; in short, his world is incomplete without the parents.

Then come the teens - the cat years! At this age, the child has a mind of his own - very much like a cat - no matter how much care you show for it, it always does what pleases it. The child has a world of his own and he thinks that any kind of suggestion/ monitoring/ etc. is an interference.

And if parents be patient to bear this teen age and are somewhat lucky, the dog years come back!

Perhaps, in most of the cases, this phase consummates when one starts earning and starts making decisions about life by himself, only then he realizes how difficult all this would have been for the parents!

S A J Shirazi said...

You very lucky that you know this and confess this.

Anonymous said...

Completely agreed with you, but these are all the things which only that person can think who has some sense of responsibility.

Nice article referred by jaywalker, may Allah direct us to the path where we shouldn't left any of such things in our life.

Anonymous said...

I really love this blog.Because,As i read it,There're flash backs in my mind..:)...,As everyone who's a bit sensible can relate this to his/her parents.
...Specially this particular sentence "It's human nature that the realization comes with experience"....100% agreed,It has to come in everyone's case.It's for sure it'll come!...